SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS AND AIDES FOR K-8 STUDENTS!
OUR NEW SUB RATE IS $115/day
To apply for a substitute teacher certification; please see guidelines below:
A Guide for Applicants: How to Apply for a Substitute
Credential or CTE Substitute Credential
Step One: Seek and Obtain a Sponsor School District or Organization for Criminal History Record Clearance.
The sponsoring organization should be the candidate’s teacher preparation program, school district, or
vendor organization that the candidate will serve (such as Source4Teachers or Kelly Education). If the
candidate plans to substitute in multiple school districts, he or she must select at least one for
Step Two: Complete Criminal History Record Check Process
- Pay administrative fee(s) for the criminal history background clearance and print out the IdentoGO New Jersey Universal Fingerprint Form from the New Jersey Department of Education (NJDOE) Office of Student Protection webpage ($11);
- Go to the Identogo Website to schedule an appointment and pay fingerprinting fees ($66.05 for those who have never been fingerprinted in New Jersey, or $29.75 if previously printed through the NJDOE subsequent to March 2003).
- Attend the scheduled appointment time and get fingerprinted. Make sure to bring the following to your scheduled appointment:
- Picture Identification (ID) Note: Foreign passports will no longer be accepted as proof of identification;
- IdentoGO New Jersey Universal Fingerprint Form; and
- Verify criminal history status form.
Step Three: Apply for the Substitute Credential Online
Apply online in the Teacher Certification Information System (TCIS) for the substitute credential and pay
the $125.00 application fee. Questions concerning technical use of TCIS may be resolved by emailing
Upon completion of the online application, candidates should record their individual Tracking Number
generated by TCIS during the application process, and then deliver the following information/documentation with your tracking number to your County Office of Education:
- Sealed college transcripts proving at least 60 or 30 college credit hours (substitute credential) or signed letter from employer documenting work experience (CTE substitute credential only);
- Proof of age via license or other government issued identification;
- If applying for the substitute credential using 30 college credits, an official letter from the Registrar’s Office providing proof of current enrollment at an accredited college or university.
- Approved criminal history status check